On February 19, 1942, President Franklin Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066 authorizing the placement of Japanese American citizens and Japanese resident aliens in incarceration camps. Nearly 13,000 people lived at Minidoka from 1942-1946.
Today, the camp is undergoing a revitalization. A 1.6 mile walking trail has been contructed with 23 interpretive wayside signs along the trail describing the historic structures, historic landscape, and the people who lived here. A historic barrack building and historic mess hall have been returned to the site as the beginning steps in recreating one of the residential barrack blocks.
The historic root cellar and fire station are undergoing stabilization and rehabilitation. A portion of the historic barbed wire fence has been placed along the North Side Canal and the Honor Roll has been reestablished in the entrance garden.
Interpretive programs include guided tours, a Junior Ranger program, a small exhibit at the Hagerman Fossil Beds NM Visitor Center, and an education curriculum.
The Historic Site does not have visitor facilities at the present time and is managed by Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument.
South Central Idaho, near Jerome
Interstate 84 at Hwy. 93: go N. on Hwy. 93 5 miles to Eden, turn E. on Hwy. 25 for 9.5 miles to Hunt Rd., E. on Hunt Rd. 2.2 miles